JBUZZ: ISRAEL/JEWISH CULTURAL BUZZ
JEWISH ACADEMIC & UNIVERSITY NEWS
Jewish Libraries & Archives
American Jewish Historical Society
New York, NY. A constituent of the Center for Jewish History.
Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religions Libraries
Cincinnati, Los Angeles, New York, Jerusalem
Haynt: A tsaytung bey Yidn, 1908-1939
A translation of the book chronicling the history of the Jewish newspaper in Warsaw
Ida Pearle and Joseph Cuba Archives and Genealogy Center
of The Breman Jewish Heritage & Holocaust Museum, Atlanta, Georgia
International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies
Jewish National and University University Library
Jewish Public Library of Montreal
Jewish Women’s Archive
Language and Culture Atlas of Ashkenazic Jewry
A project initiated by Uriel Weinreich at Columbia University in the 1950s. Includes 5,000 hours of recorded testimony in Yiddish about Ashkenazic society in Europe. For a scan of the eastern base map with more place-name detail, click here.
Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary
New York, NY
Leo Baeck Institute
New York, NY. A constituent of the Center for Jewish History.
London Jewish Cultural Centre
Incorporating the Oxford Institute for Yiddish Studies.
Magnes Museum Library and Archives
New York Public Library—Dorot Jewish Division
New York, NY
Ontario Jewish Archives
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Simon Wiesenthal Center Library and Archives
Los Angeles, CA
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
University of Sydney: Archive of Australian Judaica
Judaica Libraries/Archives/Research Centers
Source: Princeton University
- Baltimore Hebrew University (includes catalog access)
- Brandeis University Libraries (includes catalog access)
- Columbia University: Resources for Jewish Students / Columbia Catalog
- Gratz College/ Tuttleman Library
- Harvard University (catalog only)
- Hebrew Theological College(includes catalog access)
- Hebrew Union College (catalog ) libraries in Cincinnati, New York, Los Angeles, and Jerusalem
- Jewish Theological Seminary/ JTS Catalog
- Library of Congress: Hebraic Section / LC Catalog
- New York Public Library: Jewish Division / NYPL Catalog
- New York University Judaic Studies Resources / NYU Catalog
- Ohio State University (includes catalog access)
- Princeton University Library – Jewish Studies Resources / Princeton Catalog
- Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies: Asher Library
- Stanford University/Hebraica & Judaica Collections / Stanford Catalog
- Touro College Libraries (includes catalog access)
- University of California @ Berkeley/ Judaica Collections (includes catalog access)
- UCLA Library Collections: Jewish Resources / UCLA Catalog
- University of Michigan: Near East Division / U of Michigan Catalog
- University of Pennsylvania/ Center for Judaic Studies (includes catalog access)
- Yale University Judaica Resources/ Yale Catalog
- Yeshiva University/Mendel Gottesman Library of Hebraica/Judaica YU catalog YU Archives
- RLG Jewish and Middle East Studies Communities discusses RLG activities in Jewish studies
- “The Research Libraries Group is a not-for-profit corporation with more than 155 members, including universities and colleges, national libraries, archives, historical societies, museums and public libraries.
- American Jewish Archives “The Jacob Rader Marcus Center is committed to preserving a documentary heritage of the religious, organizational, economic, cultural, personal, social and family life of American Jewry”
- American Jewish Historical Society
- Center for Jewish History
- Community-Level and National Jewish Historical Societies in the United States and Abroad listing of local Jewish historical societies in North America and national Jewish historical societies overseas
- Jewish Women’s Archives Virtual Archive database consists of 500 archival images and the records of over 200 women, whose collections are held in repositories in the United States and Canada.
- Judaica Americana Archives in the United States Compiled by Moshe D. Sherman; includes listings of US archive by category: General; Regional and Local, State, & Holocaust Archives/Centers.
- Leo Baeck Institute
- National Yiddish Book Center
- Rutgers University: Center for the Study of Jewish Life
- Simon Wiesenthal Center
- Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Library
- Yivo Institute for Jewish Research/ Yivo Online Catalog “includes 50,000 database records, mostly for monographic books, in all European languages, as well as Romanized Yiddish and Hebrew.” Catalog represents only a fraction of Yivo’s holdings and is a work in progress.
- Canadian Jewish Congress Archives
- Jewish Public Library (Montreal)
- McGill University:Jewish Studies/McGill Catalog
- National Library of Canada/Jacob M. Lowy Collection 0ld and rare Hebraica and Judaica comprising 3000 printed books from the 15th to the 20th century, including 34 Hebrew and Latin incunables, over 120 editions of bibles in many languages. Strong in Italian Hebraica and in examples of Hebrew printing from Spain to the Orient.
- University of Toronto Libraries/ Catalog largest Judaica collection in Canada
Israeli University Libraries Telnet addresses & instructions for Israeli Catalogs
Gateways to Sites
- Bar Ilan University Library System (includes catalog access: web and telnet)
- Ben Gurion University of the Negev: Aranne Library/Catalog via web
- Hebrew University Libraries (includes catalog access: web and telnet )
- Jewish National & University Library (includes catalog access: web and telnet )
- Technion Library Catalog via web
- Tel Aviv University Libraries(includes catalog access: web and telnet )
- University of Haifa Library/ Catalog via web (or telnet to lib.haifa.ac.il.)
- Weizman Institute of Science Libraries / Catalog via web (or telnet to wislib.weizmann..ac.il)
- Abba Eban Center for Israeli Diplomacy contains the papers, video-cassettes, photographs and recordings which former Israeli Foreign Minister and Ambassador Abba Eban donated for use of the Israeli public.
- Albert Einstein Archives (located at JNUL)
- The Aviezer Yellin Archives of Jewish Education in Israel and the Diaspora
- The Avraham Harman Institute of Contemporary Jewry offers M.A. and Ph.D. degrees; trains students in the historical, social, economic, educational, religious and cultural aspects of contemporary Jewish life.
- Babylonian Jewry Heritage Center includes ethnographic material, judaica, archival documents, books and manuscripts on Jews or Iraq; compiling a genealogical database of families originating in Iraq.
- Central Zionist Archives archives of the World Zionist Organization, the Jewish Agency, the Jewish National Fund, Keren Hayesod and the World Jewish Congress; has papers of individuals involved in the Zionist movement or active in Palestine/Israel.
- Israel Archives Association lists various archives in Israel
- Israel Museum/Library of Art & Archaology
- The Jabotinsky Institute documents, publications and photographic material connected with Zeev Jabotinsky and the Revisionist Movement.
- The Melton Centre for Jewish Education
- Moshe Dayan Center for Middle Eastern and African Studies maintains a database of bibliographic references to Western & Arabic periodical literature; includes over 100,000 entries from 1979.
- Rabin Center for Israel Studies
- The Steven Spielberg Jewish Film Archive (includes access to archives)
- Vidal Sassoon Center for the Study of Antisemitism/Catalog Access
- The Yad Ben-Zvi Library covers history of the land of Israel and the city of Jerusalem , and Sephardi Jewry and Jewish communities of Muslim lands, Africa and Asia, and Eastern European Jewry.
- Yad Vashem Library
- Alliance Israelite Universelle
- Bibliotheque Medem
- Bibliotheque Nationale (holds more than 30,000 Hebrew volumes)
- Centre de Documentation Juive Contemporaine
- Centre d’Etudes juives
- Germania Judaica: Koelner Bibliothek zur Geschichte des deutschen Judentums
- Simon-Dubnow-Institut fuer juedische Geschichte und Kultur – Bibliothek
- Stadt- und Universitaetsbibliothek Frankfurt am Main – Hebraica- und Judaica-Sammlung
- Universitaet Potsdam – Moses Mendelssohn Zentrum fuer Europaeisch-Juedische Studien – Bibliothek
- British Library–Hebrew Collections
- Cambridge University Library/The Taylor-Schechter Genizah Research Unit
- Leo Baeck College – Library
- Oriental Institute Library (Bodleian Library)
- Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies (Leopold Muller Memorial Library) one of the best collections of books and periodicals in Jewish studies in Europe. Oxford Catalogues
- University College London Library
- University of Manchester, Centre for Jewish Studies
- Amsterdam University Library – Department of Judaica and Hebraica – Bibliotheca Rosenthaliana
- International Institute of Social History: The Yiddish Collection “The IISH has a unique collection of Yiddish material consisting of books, brochures, periodicals and pamphlets of the early Jewish socialist and anarchist movement in Eastern and Western Europe.”
- Petersburg Jewish University one of the largest Jewish libraries in the former Soviet Union. The library is a center for collection and preservation of Jewish books and research periodicals on Jewish studies worldwide.
- Early Hebrew Printing homepage virtual guide to the great Jewish Libraries and Rare Book Collections: Hebrew Manuscripts, Incunabula, and Written Antiquities (M. Davidson)
- Jewishnet/Jewish Libraries and Catalogs
- Judaica Libraries & Archives (E.Starr) including libraries in: Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Australia, South Africa ,Chile)
- Hebrew Transliteration Tables